- 13g (1½T) Garlic, minced
- 6g (1T) Ginger, minced
- 2 medium Scallions, chopped
- 2½g (1t) Toasted Golden Sesame Seeds
- 2½g (1t) Toasted Black Sesame Seeds
- 64g (4T) Soy Sauce
- 14g (1T) Roasted Sesame Oil
- 21g (1T) Maltose
- 15g (1T) Water
- 1-1¼kg (about 2-2¾lbs) any cut of Chicken, but preferably Wings or Legs (with skin)
- Take a sturdy plastic zipper bag, and combine the garlic, ginger, scallions, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Heat the maltose and water in the microwave until the maltose loosens, about 20-30 seconds. Pour the liquid into the bag. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- If the chicken is already cut into drumettes and flats, or drumsticks and thighs, go ahead and throw all of meat into the bag. Press out the air from the top of the bag and zip it closed. Massage the contents to allow the marinade to thoroughly mix around. Put the zip bag in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours, or overnight.
- If the chicken isn’t cut, dispatch each wing or leg at its joint, and follow through step 3.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Insert a flat roasting rack into a large glass baking dish or roasting pan.
- Take each piece of chicken and create a pouch between the skin and the meat. Stuff some of the aromatics into the pouch. Arrange in a single layer, skin-side down.
- Bake for 1-1½ hours, or until browned, flipping the soy sauce chicken halfway through the baking time.
- Serve immediately with a bowl of rice or steamed/roasted vegetables.
- Substitute the maltose with honey or light corn syrup.
- Boneless and skinless cuts are great for lean meals; however, bone-in and skin-on chicken maximizes flavor and retains moisture.
- The chicken legs can marinade for two days in the refrigerator before baking. In fact, I recommend a longer marinating time for a well-seasoned dish.
- Add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes to give the dish a bit of heat.
- The marinade is a perfect amount for about 2lbs of chicken, but you can easily have 2½lbs or a touch more and the marinade will still flavor the chicken well.
- Line your baking dish with foil to make cleaning easier.
- Instead of throwing the marinade away, cook it down and baste the skin to create a yummy caramelized layer.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
6 servings per recipe
Serving size 1 piece (195g)
Amount per servingCalories
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29.4g37.7%
- Saturated Fat 7.7g38.5%
- Trans Fat 0.1g
Unsaturated Fat 18.9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 6.8g
- Monounsaturated Fat 12.1g
- Cholesterol 155mg51.7%
- Sodium 728mg31.7%
Total Carbohydrate 5.5g2%
- Dietary Fiber 0.4g1.4%
Total Sugars 3.4g
- Includes 3.2g Added Sugars6.4%
- Protein 28.6g57.2%
- Vitamin A 49µg3.3%
- Vitamin C 2mg3.3%
- Vitamin D 0µg0%
- Calcium 35mg3.5%
- Iron 2mg11.1%
- Potassium 416mg11.9%
* The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.