Much like saeujeot, ssamjang is equally important in bringing bo ssam (보쌈 – simmered pork belly, or other cuts of pork, wrapped with lettuce) and jokbal (족발 – braised pork trotters) together. I call it the happy trinity: shrimp sauce, wrap sauce, and lettuce wraps! Each of these components bring you that much closer to having a delicious dinner with your protein of choice!
Recipe for Ssamjang (쌈장) - Wrap Sauce
- For 2 People
- 60g (2T) Fermented Soybean Paste, Doenjang
- 20g (1T) Hot Pepper Paste, Gochujang
- 5-10g (1-2t) hot Water
- 5g (1t) Sesame Oil
- 15g (1) Scallion, minced
- 6g (2) Garlic Cloves, minced
- Dash of Sesame Seeds
- Scoop out both pastes into a small bowl. Add the hot water and slowly stir the pastes together.
- Throw in the sesame oil, scallion, garlic, and sesame seeds. Give the wrap sauce a good stir.
- Serve in small dishes and enjoy with your lettuce wraps and protein of your choice!
- You can find both pastes in Asian supermarkets. They also sell ssamjang already mixed in a tub, though I have to say that I like to make my own! 🙂
- The hot water helps to thin the paste. The end product should allow you to scoop a little bit of the sauce with a pair of chopsticks, and not have the sauce slide off the end. Start out with 1t of hot water, and add more as needed.
**Here are some of the ingredients I use for this recipe. Please, feel free to browse and ask questions on anything you see listed below.**
No thoughts on "Ssamjang (쌈장) – Wrap Sauce Recipe."